Thursday, February 9, 2012

A simple text message

It was a quarter to 12 when we entered the Department of Human Resources for our county. The area was bustling with people having supervised visits, setting up paperwork for various county aid, and dealing with child support issues. Unsure what to do, I approached the counter.

Lady behind glass: May I help you?

Me: Yes, We are here for the orientation for adoptive/foster parents

Lady behind glass: Ok, sign in at the security officers desk and take a seat in the waiting room.

Me: Thanks

Stephen and I walked over the security officer, signed in, and promptly took a seat in the waiting room. People shuffled around doing whatever they were doing. The room was old and tired. It smelled like pee. And it's clientelle reminded me of the stark difference in the world Stephen and I live in and the children that would capture our hearts. As Stephen walked around looking at the posters that littered the walls, I struggled with wanting to leave. Suddenly, I didn't know if I could do this. I wanted to run back to my safe world. To what was comfortable and familiar. As the tears formed in my eyes, I texted my friend and confessed to wanting to run like he**. She gently told me that was normal. Stephen walked over and patted my knee. Sensing my uneasiness, he asked me what was going on. As I finished telling him how I felt, he softly chuckled and said he understood. 3 minutes later, the love of my life, texted me with tears in his eyes and said this would be the place Jesus would be. My heart settled.

Shortly after, a nice lady came up and we went back to the room where we began our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment